Coronavirus is no more an epidemic; the World Health Organization has termed it a pandemic. The last panoramic witnessed by the world was in 1918 with the Spanish Flu killed millions of people. So are we headed towards the same destructive phase? The question has no answer yet because there is no vaccination developed so far for the novel Coronavirus. The only thing we all can do is stay safe and work for community protection.
As of 18 March 2020, the total Coronavirus cases in the world stand at 1,84,976. Nearly 7529 People have died so far because of Coronavirus worldwide. India has also witnessed 4 deaths to date and the total number of cases in our country has climbed to 147.
Sharing with all a list of precautions we all can do to stay protected from this deadly disease –
- Social Isolation – Coronavirus spread with a human touch so we all must avoid being in crowded places. The government of India and many state governments have ordered the closure of schools, colleges, multiplexes, gyms, spas, swimming pools and all those places where people gather in large numbers. So while you are opting to work from home or staying indoors, you can use this time constructively to enrich your professional skills and join some online e-learning course.
- Eat a balanced diet and exercise – Health Practitioners all over the world are warning people to work on the immunity if they wish to defeat Coronavirus. This virus has been impacting elderly people and those having problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Even though the immunity cannot be increased with a magic wand but the best way to work on your immune system is to eat a balanced diet, sleep well and exercise at least 45 minutes a day.
- Avoid travel – Safety first; celebrations later! Most of the global conferences have been cancelled in wake of Coronavirus so if you had planned to travel abroad, this is the time to cancel it. You can travel within India via safer means like taking a cab rather than a bus or choose to travel by Express train.
- Get your Covid-19 test done – The symptoms of Coronavirus infection include cough, cold, high fever or difficulty in breathing. If you see such symptoms in your family member or any friends, advise them to get their Covid-19 testing done from an approved Lab or Medical Institution certified by the Indian Council of Medical Research. Such a person should be kept in quarantine for 14 days. The state governments are paying for the expenses of treatment for such patients.
- Practice Good Hygiene – Wash your hands at least 5 times a day with an alcohol-based hand-wash solution or sanitizer. Cover your mouth and nose while sneezing and coughing. Follow good hygiene to keep yourself and your family safe from this deadly disease.
We must stop spreading any fake information. Let’s defeat the fear and panic. Let’s defeat Coronavirus with compassion and patience.