The post-pandemic world has many discoveries – one of the major ones being endless opportunities for the trained and talented youth in the Indian as well as global IT sector. And if you are passionate enough, you would start to discover your scope and create your niche right away. This is just the article you should read to know more about career prospects in IT sector and where do you stand.
Gone are the days when jobs in information technology sector meant working as a computer science engineer or as a website developer or website designer. Information technology is the buzz word today and there is no dearth of jobs and opportunities. So much is the omnipresence of information technology in our life that even schools, colleges, NGOs, business organisation and even small shops are shifting to online mode. So every time a new e-commerce business opens or online functioning of a service starts, there Is a need for trained and skilled information technology students. So if you have decided to make your career in the field of IT, let us tell you that very clearly you have taken a very good decision.
To land a job in the field of information technology is a dream come true for thousands of Indian students. There are various diploma courses and full-time undergraduate courses with post-graduate counterparts as well. Clearly, the country has become the IT hub of the world, producing a massive workforce that is not just relevantly skilled but ready to be employed in the leading organizations across the globe.
Let’s Have A Look At The Scope And Growth Of The IT Sector Across India
A regular IT professional can start his/her career assuming the following job responsibilities:
- Database Administrators
- Junior Programmers
- Software Developers
- Website Developers
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist Trainees
These are the most important roles in the IT sector that allow several students to climb up the corporate ladder very easily. You can see that there are so many opportunities in the IT sector across the country. When it comes to future jobs in the IT sector, the country is booming at the moment. Plus, let’s not forget the ever-increasing importance of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Big Data, Block chain technology, NFTs (Non Fungible Tokens), Crypto Currency, FInTech and so on. All these are related to the world of Information Technology only. What we are trying to tell you is that you can create your own specialization and choose a field to grow in. There might be some challenges initially but your skills and perseverance would take you to the top, very soon. You would be amazed to know that a few of the IT graduates are attracted to the startup culture and choosing to be an entrepreneur. Most of the leading universities of India including MM(DU) encourage the youngsters to think and do the new. Universities and even top Engineering Colleges of India now have accelerators, incubators and other programmes that nurture the tech startup ideas of the youth.
Let’s have a look at a few estimates as to the average salaries (per annum) of some of the most coveted positions in the IT sector:
- Software Engineer – Between 3.5 Lakh to 6 Lakh per annum
- IT Administrator – Nearly 5 Lakh
- Project Manager – 9.7 Lakh
- IT Business Consultant – 10.2 Lakh
- Senior Software Programmer/Developer – 8.1 Lakh
- Systems Development Expert – 5.8 Lakh
Not aware of the top recruiters in the IT sector across India?
- Tech Mahindra
And the names in this list are increasing by the minute!
Preparing Yourself Mentally – What Future Jobs In IT Sector Hold For You
There will be a few challenges in your way which you should be ready to face including:
- Stringent Timelines- Most IT projects are going to have very rigid and stringent timelines.
- Little Opportunity For Self-Care- This is because of the kind of job that they are in, they have a lot of work pressure and strict deadlines to follow. This leaves them a lot less time for themselves.
- Low Remuneration In The Initial Career- With your hard work and dedication, you can upgrade your skills with time. This is going to lead you to a position where you will command a lot of authority and more than a handsome remuneration.
Now, coming to the many skills that you will have to acquire to build your scope in the IT sector
- Technical Skills
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Computer Application
- Master’s in Engineering
- Master’s in Science
- Master’s in Technology
- Master’s in Computer Application
Eligibility To Enter The Best Engineering Colleges
- The student must pass their class 12 in the science stream or equivalent examination to enroll in a bachelor’s program
- The student must pass a bachelor’s degree in technology or science or engineering to pursue a master’s course in any of the disciplines mentioned above
- Top computer science engineering colleges of North India like M M Engineering College does not take any entrance exam for their B.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering. Students who have passed Senior Secondary (10+2) or an equivalent Examination in five subjects taken together including compulsory subjects of Physics, Mathematics and one subject of chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/ Computer Science & English with 60% marks in aggregate (40% marks in case of SC/ ST Category) can apply for the course online. More details here
Apart From These Requirements, The Student Must Have The Following Skills
It’s not just technical or digital skills that would give you an edge in the field of IT, a student should also have –
- Impressive Communication Skills
- Focus on Organisational Behaviour
- Analytical Ability
- Creative approach and an ability to think out of the box
- Leadership skills to manage IT projects
- Team spirit to lead a group of IT professionals and digital technology executives
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Proactive attitude
- Curiosity and Interest to learn and master the new technologies and trends
Stay tuned to know more about latest trending courses and job prospects across different segments.