Why a University Campus is better than a College? Because it’s big and has more buildings than a college! Do you think, this can be the only or a reason to choose a university over a college for your higher education?
Not of course? What is the most righteous thing to make you choose a university campus over a stand-alone college to pursue a professional or even a traditional degree? We are discussing some of these factors here in this blog.
The best to happen to education, which was limited to big cities and big people is the number of higher education institutions in India and even in the world. Though we still have a need to establish and expand more institutions. The approach has to be of making students capable of making careers rather than making a pile of certificates. This is to be done with the passage of time. But, one thing is to be done urgently, and that is, the selection of your next-stop for HigherEd.
A University campus carries within itself a small world. A World which is actually made of not just people from various parts of the country but also from countries. This makes the culture at an educational institution. Remember that age-old Indian Education and the institutions that are shared with us through history. The universities like Nalanda and similar places of higher learning had learners from around the world. It stands true, evident by such legendary edifices, that you don’t just learn the syllabus of one course, you also learn to live and lead life when you are in a university.
The same way, when you get into a university, the huge gates are open to the world. You enter and get introduced to an ocean of possibilities in inter-disciplinary and extra-curricular learnings. You have people from other culture and countries to make friends with.
Mithun Sarkar, who is a resident of Bangladesh, feels, “People learn together and also get to know other fields as well. I am going to pursue BBA from July, but I have made friends from other countries as well. I think University is Best to study Higher Education.”
Neeraj Yogi, who is from Dadra & Nagar Haveli, a UT in India, feels that it is because of the university life that he has been able to learn a lot more with the academics. The participation in university events, leading his teams at MMDU Mullana has given a strong foundation to his professional life. “I am getting life-long friends and teachers because I get to meet people across nations and professions as well.”
Cecilia Mwanza, who is from Zambia and has recently joined B.Sc. MLT, says: “A university is an institution that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. It may also have a medical or law school for students wishing to pursue professional degrees. Some universities offer special programs where their students can earn both an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree in a reduced amount of time. Generally, universities have a more diverse offering of classes and programs than a college because of the larger number of enrolled students.”
The perks of the University Life are:
- A University is the source of affiliation for colleges and being at the University, you are right at the first place of policy making and best practices.
- Universities have a multi-disciplinary system and while doing B. Tech., you also get to know people from MBA, MBBS, and even the Nursing and Physiotherapy professionals. An added advantage of knowing these streams adds in widening your knowledge base.
- Most of the Universities have implemented a flexible credit system which asks the students to take electives out of their specialisation subject. It is really worth at the university to get a large variety of electives for inter-disciplinary education.
- As you get to make a strong Public Relation at a university campus with foreign students, it helps in exploring careers abroad. Knowing different cultures and languages is also an advantage.
- Youth Festivals and other Fests at a University are quite big compared to most of the colleges.
- Placement opportunities are also better at a University because the employers get to have a combined and comprehensive placement-drive here.
- The whole campus belongs to you and the hostel life is itself a reward with people from all places and lands making friends with you.
The education that you are getting is meant to get you a good career and life. It must get you mentors for life, friends and deserving exposure that helps you accomplish real heights in life. The combined strength of a university campus can become your own strength if you have the zeal to take advantage of this.
It is the experience which matters in Higher Education. The larger the canvas, the bigger the picture will be. An artist must get a free hand-free space. As the painter of your life, you should also take a call after looking at the prospects, not just the prospectus!
Assistant Professor (Communication Skills & English)
Maharishi Markandeshwar Deemed to be University, Mullana